PDF is one of the most popular file formats among office users around the globe. Choosing to use it gives you more advantage than you think. Created by Adobe Systems in the early 90s, PDF gives additional features and benefits to many users such as increased security, compressed document size, and retaining of layout formats. More than that, PDF is also very convenient and can be accessed using both mobile and desktop devices.
But, did you know that despite the recent advancement in technology, there are still some who find it challenging to convert to a PDF file? Don’t worry, it’s not something to worry about. There are many tools like Soda PDF for you to do that — and a ton of help from the Internet. But to save you browsing time, here are some ways and methods on how to convert a document to a PDF file. Here are some of them.
1. Converting using an online converter
PDFBear is one of the most popular online tools which allows you to convert to a PDF file. It’s a user-friendly website that helps you finish the work in easy steps. Unlike other tools that only allow .doc files, PDFBear can also convert docx to PDF. The website values your privacy, so once your conversion has completed, it will delete your uploaded file from the server. Here are the steps to use the docx to PDF converter:
- Go to there website
- Select the file to convert, and the system will automatically process the conversion
- You can either save the document or copy the URL for an online PDF file
You will also have the option to merge, email, compress, or add a eSignature to your document once it’s converted.
2. Converting using a software
If you don’t have access to the Internet all the time, choosing a software converter may be ideal for you. There are many PDF converter software available online that you can choose from. Once you find a reliable software converter, you can install it on your computer and use it anytime you need it. This will also allow you to save the document. However, the downside of a software converter is its accessibility. It will only be available on the computer where you installed it, unlike online converters.
3. Saving via PDF
If you are using the latest version of a word-processing document such as Microsoft Word or XPS, or even Google Docs, you can save the document file as PDF. To save it, all you need to do is to open the file, click on the File menu, select Save As, then select the file format as PDF. Reminder, not all word-processing documents have this option. Some older or free versions may not have access to it.
4. Converting docx to doc file then to PDF
As mentioned above, some online and software converters have no capability to convert it to a PDF file format. However, if you have no access to a converter that accepts docx, another option is to convert it to a doc file first. All you need to do is to open the file, click on the File menu, click on Save as, and change the file format to docx. After that, you can easily convert the file to a PDF format. Just a reminder, be careful when uploading your file to make sure you are converting the doc and not the docx. One of the best practices is to change the filename so it will be easily recognizable.
Is PDF better than Docx?
PDF is a widely chosen file format when distributing documents such as research papers, whitepapers, reports, and articles. There are a lot of applications that can help you create or convert PDF files in a snap. But if you are hesitant, here are some important factors or advantages that you can take note of PDF:
- It is portable. With PDF, you can access your file using any device, even without a word-processing document.
- It is reliable. PDF rarely releases a variety of versions. This means that you can still access old PDF formats using your new OS for mobile and computers.
- It is convenient. With all the available online converters, you can easily convert a word file to a PDF.
- It is secured. You can secure PDF with a password, so you can make sure that the contents of your file are safe.
- It compresses your files. You would need to worry about file size when sending documents. PDF compresses your file size to make sure it’s easily accessible.
It’s time to convert to PDFs. Aside from the benefits mentioned above, it will also make your document look professional and presentable. It is one of the most versatile and universal formats across all users. It’s more productive, and it is more efficient.